Book Week Costumes 2017



I thought I'd finally post a creative DIY piece. I LOVE book week, halloween, themed birthdays and well ANY chance for a costume. My Pinterest board is full of ideas, hopefully one day I can find an excuse to attempt them all. I always get the girls to choose their characters. I love their creative ideas.

Imali is OBSESSED with unicorns at the moment - well her and every other four to twelve year old. She immediately had her heart set on 'Thelma the Unicorn' by Aaron Blabey. I love the message behind the book. Thelma is a horse who believes she's supposed to be 'special' like a unicorn. Long story short Thelma accidentally finds herself looking like a unicorn, finds fame and fortune and has never been lonelier. Thelma realises she is amazing just as she is! She return's to being a simple horse with her friends again. I could feel this was going to be a super cute costume and very 'Imali' sparkles, pink and fun - whats not to love!
Image result for thelma the unicornImage result for thelma the unicorn

Caliah is a crazy dog lady. She has has so many stuffed animal dogs on her bed sometimes I don't know how she fits with them all. She straight away was looking for her dog books and wanted ANY excuse to take one of her favourite toys to school. It took us around 3.24 seconds to come up with Cruella De Ville - this also meant her pal "Alexa" would be able to join her at school. Cruella is the villain of 101 Dalmatians. So no cute story there, but one hell of a fun costume!! YAYY!!


First things first I went through our dress ups and kids wardrobes to see what we already had. For Thelma we didn't have anything. Pink body suits isn't really our style. However Cruella we had a cute black dress, white tights, pearls and boots. Next stop eBay! Ill Link and post pricing

For Thelma we purchased:

Silver Foil Metallic leggings From Big W for $8

I had a silver elastic belt from a flapper dress, a sequin hair scrunchie from Kmart for $5. I hot glued the pony tail "wrapped" so it looked like an actual pony tail. Then I hot glue it onto the silver belt followed by the scrunchie around it to neaten it all up and hide where it attached.
I had intended to find a little tutu however when we tried it on all together with the leggings under the leotard it just looked too cute! We finished off the look with face jewels, pink hair spray and bulk glitter spray. I also already owned the choker.
Next up is Cruella. I searched high and low for a jacket however NOTHING was available, so off to Spotlight I went. Luckily they had 40% off fabrics. I got the Faux Fur and red satin for approx $8. I  cut it into a rectangle and sewed the lining to the inside. I put the arm holes close together and left the excess material to fall forward, to replicate a waterfall style jacket/vest. I was very happy with the finished product.

The rest was pretty simple. She slept with braids in her hair the night before. I then folded her hair under and pinned it to give the illusion of a 'bob' style haircut. I purchased red gloves from the local party store for $5 as well as white and black hair spray. 


The girls were so happy with their costumes and they were totally original. No one else was dressed up like them and they were also very affordable.

The end product:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts